From the outset the ‘The Helix Central Park’ was considered to be a long-term development project built around a number of objectives:
- That the landscape will be transformed into a place of delight, with diverse habitats rich in wildlife such that it will be fully accessible and managed in a way that is sustainable
- People would enjoy visiting The Helix, and what is hoped will become a major visitor destination whilst also meeting local recreational needs for the residents in the immediate vicinity
- Individuals and groups would be actively involved in meeting the needs and aspirations of local people through The Helix
- Local communities and businesses would be proud of the Helix and will want to be associated with it
- The Helix would become a valuable source of materials for a range of enterprises, and also act as a vehicle for training and employment.
To create a number of feature applications utilising locally available aggregate that could be incorporated into steel mesh cages. Of importance was to ensure that the gabions were visually attractive using steel and stone that would encapsulate the effective and versatile use of the ever-growing applications of gabions baskets.